Due to the influx of people moving to Texas, in the Dallas-Fort Worth area alone there are almost 17,000 apartment units in demand. And, that number is projected to increase by as much as 4 percent in 2017. Many people relocating to North Texas choose to rent an apartment so they can take their time looking for a home, resulting in an exceptionally lucrative market for companies who own and manage apartment complexes.
What should you do? Should you buy or should you rent? Consider these five issues:
* Equity – A common argument made by rental property owners is, “renters aren’t losing money, they’re just spending it on a place to live.” The reality is money spent on rent is money you will never see again, while every mortgage payment on a home builds equity ownership in the property.
* Appreciation – In general, people who buy a home hope it will be worth more than they paid for it when it comes time to sell. Rest assured, you can invest in North Texas with a positive outlook; in fact, home values are expected to increase by 31 percent in Dallas by 2020, largely due to job and population growth, according to recent projections.
* Tax Benefits – While paying a mortgage, interest and property taxes does add up, the good news is you may be able to deduct a portion of your expenses – unlike with renting, which you cannot deduct on your taxes.
* Stability – Renters are often subject to increases with each new lease signing. With a fixed-rate mortgage on a home, your mortgage payments will never change.
* Control – When you own a home and you tire of the way your kitchen or bathroom looks you can remodel them to your liking. That’s not an option with an apartment.
Considering purchasing a home? Home Team Mortgage Company, Ebby Halliday’s affiliated mortgage company, has a track record of building long-lasting relationships by providing exceptional service with competitive rates. With an office in each Ebby Halliday branch, Home Team Mortgage loan officers offer the convenience of one-stop shopping, coupled with expertise to ensure peace of mind for borrowers and agents alike.
For all your mortgage questions and needs, contact Home Team Mortgage Company.
You may also like: