When you think of springtime, brightly colored flowers, sunny days, and lush foliage likely fill your thoughts. It’s the time of year that signifies renewal – and the perfect time to tackle making over your home.
In the new spring edition of Grand Vie: Luxury in Living, Dallas-Fort Worth’s premier luxury home publication, Shay Geyer, owner and designer at IBB Design Fine Furnishings, provides some timely tips for a spring makeover of your home.
* Greenery is the 2017 Pantone Color of the Year and the perfect nod to spring for your home’s décor. A “fresh and zesty yellow-green,” this color can be used as an accent to bring a neutral palette to life or paired with other lively colors for a dynamic interior.
* Paint is one of the easiest ways to transform a room. Choose a happy hue that brings new life into your room and puts a smile on your face. Brighter, more-saturated hues work best as accents and shades of white offer a crisp backdrop for artwork and fabrics to steal the show.
* Wallpaper is more of a commitment than paint, but it allows you to bring in bold patterns and cheerful color that will fill your space with happiness all year long. Good news: Removable, peel-and-stick wallpapers are now available.
* Add accent pillows in a bright floral pattern or botanical print to your sofa or chairs for an instant update. Butterflies, birds and cherry blossoms are other popular spring motifs that work beautifully as accents in a home.
* Punchy pastels are on trend right now. Think of ballet pinks and aquas but kicked up a notch in saturation. These colors are anything but soft and can add a cheerful accent to your space when used in accessories.
* Drapery panels not only dress your windows but they soften a wall by layering in fabric. Choose a solid in sunny yellow or sky blue or opt for a floral pattern for a touch of springtime influence. If you’re shy about pattern and color, select a sheer fabric for drapery panels to evoke a light and airy feeling.
* Layer in the texture. Use a grass-cloth wallpaper or a tile that emulates wood to bring the outdoors inside your home.
* Add scented candles and diffusers throughout your home. Fragrances like fresh peony, lavender thyme and gardenia will fill your rooms with the sweet smells of spring.
* Add floral and greenery arrangements to bring a room to life. Whether fresh or faux, a floral arrangement instantly makes a room happy. When selecting a silk arrangement, the more lifelike the better. Use the arrangements on an end table, console or coffee table for a pop of color.
* Get organized. Edit your rooms and get rid of clutter. Incorporate baskets into your bookshelves to keep things neat and tidy. Use decorative boxes on your cocktail table to store remotes and electronic devices.
For more advice on bringing springtime into your home and to see many of the most spectacular homes for sale in North Texas, visit grandviemagazine.com.
PHOTO CREDIT: Dan Piassick
You may also like: