Halloween is over, which means (like it or not) the holiday season is upon us. With all the parties and family events taking place in the next two months, many people decide to take their homes off the market or delay listing their home for sale until after the first of the year. But the holiday season could actually be the ideal time to sell a home. Here are a few reasons why:
1. Mortgage interest rates are at the lowest levels since World War II.
2. People who look for a home during the holidays are serious, motivated buyers.
3. There are usually fewer homes on the market during the holiday season, so homes listed during that time have less competition, which could translate to a higher sales price.
4. Typically, the supply of homes for sale dramatically increases in January, which means there may be less demand for your home after the holidays. Less demand means you ll have to make your home more attractive to a buyer through price reductions, etc.
5. Homes show better when decorated for the holidays.
6. Due to vacation schedules during the holidays, buyers have more time to look for homes, specifically during the weekday.
7. Some people must buy before the end of the year for tax reasons, plus they must close before December 31 to claim a homestead exemption for their taxes.
8. January is traditionally the month for employees to begin new jobs. Since many transferees may not be able to wait until Spring to buy, your home must be on the market now to capture that pool of potential buyers.
9. Even if your home is listed, you have the option to restrict showings on days you have holiday parties, out of town guests, etc.
10. If your home sells during the holidays, your agent can provide for a delayed closing or extended occupancy until early next year so your holiday season won t be spent packing.
11. By selling now, you have an opportunity to be a non-contingent buyer during the Spring, when many more houses will be available for sale, which most likely means lower prices. This could allow you to sell high and buy low!
Wondering how to make your home picture perfect for the holidays? Our friends at Dr. Delphinium Designs & Events have helped transform several Ebby listings into magazine-worthy masterpieces. Be sure to visit the Ebby Halliday YouTube channel for videos showing the creation of the ultimate autumn curb appeal, a Father-of-the-Bride-esque home for the holidays and an inviting and festive holiday living room. You might pick up a few ideas for your own home. A special thank you to Sean Gallagher Photography for the incredible photos.
If you re considering listing your home in the next few weeks, call an Ebby Associate today to learn more about the real estate market in your particular neighborhood.
To find an agent now, click here or call 888-298-1557.