In 1984, Dallas Police officers created and developed Santa Cops, a program designed to assist members of the community who have been victims of crime.
The Santa Cops program has assisted over 10,000 families throughout the years. In recent years, the program has been able to help more than 600 families annually.
New for 2016 is the addition of Kate’s Books! Kate is an officer’s daughter who had the idea to include books along with toy deliveries. This year’s goal is to collect and donate 1,500 new or gently used books to less-fortunate families.
The Santa Cops project typically delivers the fruits of its efforts on the Saturday before Christmas to the citizens of Dallas. The best part? Watching children’s faces when officers bring toys to their home.
* new, unwrapped toys for children of all ages
* new or lightly used books (see katesbooks.org)
* new blankets, robes, slippers
Santa Cops often needs gifts for older kids. Suggested items:
* sports items (basketballs, footballs, soccer balls, bean bag toss sets, etc.)
* bath gift sets
* arts & crafts items
* board games
* age-appropriate books
* bicycles (Academy at 4045 N. Central Expressway in Plano is offering a package deal of $35 for both a bike and a helmet for any purchases made for Santa Cops)
* bicycle helmets
You’re encouraged to drop by the corporate office of Ebby Halliday Realtors at 4445 Sigma Road near the Galleria between the hours of 9 to 5, Monday through Friday, to donate items to the 2016 Santa Cops toy drive. This simple act of kindness is sure to make your holiday season brighter!