A cheese board is a never-fail addition to any holiday gathering, whether it’s a small friendly get-together, or a large family celebration. With that in mind, we visited our friends at Scardello Artistan Cheese in Oak Lawn to learn how to create the perfect one. Watch the video below to see how you can ace your next cheese board.
Ace Your Cheese Board
• Include a combination of three firmnesses of cheese – soft, medium-firm and hard.
• Feature different animal milks (i.e. cow, goat, sheep).
• Add a twist by featuring different regions of the world.
• Include a variety of accompaniments like cornichons, dried fruits, nuts, olives or charcuterie.
• When displaying a cheese board, set out a knife for each cheese on the platter. This way, the flavors won’t be compromised.
• Set cheese out for at least 30 minutes to reach room temperature.
• Before any guests arrive, cut a few slices of cheese and arrange them on the board. Present each cheese with its own knife and allow your guests to continue to cut slices for themselves. These measures will prevent the cheese from drying out and allow the full flavors to emerge.
Still unsure of where to start? Don’t be afraid to venture into Scardello and ask for help. The knowledgable staff will work with you to create the perfect cheese board for your palate or gathering.
Valentine’s Day is quickly approaching, and we can feel the love in the air. To spread the love, we’re publishing a blog post each day until Feb. 14 on a different Valentine’s Day-themed topic. To start the series, here’s our Valentine’s Day gift guide for the home. Stay tuned!
Drawing a blank on what to get your friends or family this Valentine’s Day? Here are a few gift ideas that are perfect for the homebody. Plus, you can expedite shipping to make sure everything is here in time for the special day.
1. Faux Hydrangeas – $49.99
While fresh flowers are always a good idea, faux flowers aren’t a bad alternative. The more you spend, the more realistic they will look, too. These hydrangeas add a pop of pink to any room.
2. Velvet Pillow – $29
Much to our pleasure, velvet is no longer just a winter fabric. Now, you can find this fuzzy fabric year-round in a variety of colors. This soft pink adds a hint of Valentine’s spirit to any home décor.
3. Diptyque Candle – $68
This limited-edition candle not only comes in beautiful packaging, but also releases the scent of two roses: Damascena and Centifolia. These roses offer rich scents, while currant and bergamot provide freshness on top. Other notes include lychee and geranium.
4. Amazon Echo – $179.99
Know someone hoping to make his or her home smarter? Amazon’s Echo is a hands-free, voice-controlled speaker that allows you to play music, control smart home devices, set alarms, and more. 5. Pink Wine Glasses – $7.95
These light pink glasses are a fresh twist on a classic glass. 6. Tassel Blanket – $250
This delightful black and white-striped tassel blanket is 100 percent wool and the perfect complement to year-round décor.
7. Apple Watch – From $299
While technically not a gift for the home, Apple watches give you the ability to turn smart lightbulbs on or off all from your wrist.
8. Cheese Knives – $35
There’s something romantic about wine and cheese, and these twig cheese knives are perfect for any pairing.