Did you know that lighting is one of the most important elements in your home? We’ve talked about the importance of natural light, but interior light is just as important. When natural light isn’t available, due to lack of windows or time of day, the mood and brightness of your home is dictated by interior lighting. Additionally, light fixtures are a large part of design and personal style. Here are a few tips to get the most out of your lighting:
1. Diversify: Use multiple sources for light so that the ambiance just right. Think about a mix of recessed ceiling lights, chandeliers, sconces, floor lamps, table lamps, and under mounted lighting solutions. A combination will throw light in different directions and create more generalized glow.
2. Focal Points: Use task lighting and directed light to highlight art, plants, dining tables, and unique decor.
3. Dimmers: Consider installing dimmers in entertaining spaces like dining rooms, media rooms, living rooms, and bedrooms. Being able to set the mood for a meal, movie, or cozy night by the fire makes a high difference.
4. Read the Room: Different rooms call for different lighting heights, sizes, and illuminations. For example, overhead lighting makes more sense in a kitchen than is does in a bedroom. Smaller lamps, sconces, and delicate chandeliers are better suited in bedrooms and bathrooms than large living spaces.
5. Which Watt?: Always follow the instructions on your light fixture for maximum wattage, but don’t be afraid to take it down a notch. If the light fixture is more for decor than actual illumination, consider using low-wattage bulbs, which use less energy. Typical wattages range from 40 (for reading) and 80 (for putting on make up), but this wattage can be achieved with multiple fixtures.
6. Decor: The fixtures you choose have an impact on your space visually as well. Make sure to keep the overall look and feel of the room in mind when selecting fixtures, but don’t be afraid to go bold. A statement floor lamp or chandelier is the perfect way to pack a big punch of style with just one piece of decor.
DFW homeowners clearly know the importance of interior lighting, just look at great examples found in our homes for sale. From modern to victorian and floor lamps to recessed lighting, there’s a lighting solution that will “brighten” your home and mood in just the right way.
^9427 Monteleon Court, Dallas (For Lease)