The Oak Lawn Library will open a unique exhibition featuring East Dallas artist Guinn Powell on September 1, on view until September 27, 2018.
“Deep Roots” contains 17 original pieces by Powell that delve into the history and culture of his upbringing, which influenced the artist in a profound way. Each work transports the viewer back in time with scenes of everyday rural life.
“This collection is a conversation between the medium and the subject matter,” Powell says. “The series is an eclectic mix of landscapes, seascapes and other reflections of my heritage growing up in East Texas.”
MEET THE ARTIST: Powell will be at the exhibition for a reception with visitors from 2 to 4 p.m. on Saturday, September 1, at the Oak Lawn Library. The public is invited to attend the event and exhibit for free.
Powell, a graduate of Southern Methodist University, is a Dallas-based artist whose paintings explore subjects from a brave and candid perspective. The artist is thrilled to be showcasing his art within the Dallas community. His work has been featured at the Bath House Cultural Center (Dallas), The State Fair of Texas and The Lakewood Library, which features works of noteworthy and upcoming artists. Powell’s work has been frequently awarded and recognized, most recently at the 2018 Lakewood Library Annual Exhibition, and he is available for commissioned-art requests.
Situated in an 8-unit townhome project, this three-story, modern walk-up features clean lines and upgraded amenities. The contemporary-style residence offers a non-traditional layout and an attached garage with ample storage. From shopping and dining to nightlife and entertainment, enjoy a pedestrian lifestyle in the Oak Lawn area. Watch the video to learn more about why we love this listing.
A cheese board is a never-fail addition to any holiday gathering, whether it’s a small friendly get-together, or a large family celebration. With that in mind, we visited our friends at Scardello Artistan Cheese in Oak Lawn to learn how to create the perfect one. Watch the video below to see how you can ace your next cheese board.
Ace Your Cheese Board
• Include a combination of three firmnesses of cheese – soft, medium-firm and hard.
• Feature different animal milks (i.e. cow, goat, sheep).
• Add a twist by featuring different regions of the world.
• Include a variety of accompaniments like cornichons, dried fruits, nuts, olives or charcuterie.
• When displaying a cheese board, set out a knife for each cheese on the platter. This way, the flavors won’t be compromised.
• Set cheese out for at least 30 minutes to reach room temperature.
• Before any guests arrive, cut a few slices of cheese and arrange them on the board. Present each cheese with its own knife and allow your guests to continue to cut slices for themselves. These measures will prevent the cheese from drying out and allow the full flavors to emerge.
Still unsure of where to start? Don’t be afraid to venture into Scardello and ask for help. The knowledgable staff will work with you to create the perfect cheese board for your palate or gathering.